Language Arts Lesson - Magical Realism
- Understand the importance of magical realism in Latin American literature
- Recognize magical realism in the novela Aura by Carlos Fuentes
- Understand magical realism
- Use tenants of magical realism to write a short story of these genre
- Students learn about magical realism in terms of how it appears in Latin American literature. Students will first read the above eBook introducing magical realism and will explore the examples provided in the ebook.
- Students will then read the short story Aura by Carlos Fuentes. During their reading they will be tasked with finding examples of magical realism, mysticism, fantasy, and a general bending of what is possible in reality.
- After students have familiarized themselves with magical realism though the introduction, examples, and reading of Aura, they will write their own magical realism short story. They will publish the short story using simplebooklet.com and publish it to the class page so that students can read each other's work.